terça-feira, 1 de maio de 2012

USEFUL LANGUAGE - MISCELLANEOUS

Making bookings and checking arrangements
Receptionist: Hello. Capri Hotel. How can I help you?
                                  Caller:            I´d like to book a room from Tuesday 4th to Thursday 6th.
Receptionist: I can give you a single / double on the first floor.
                                  Caller:            How much is it per night?
Receptionist: Would you like smoking or non-smoking?
                                  Caller:            Is there a restaurant in the hotel?
Receptionist: So, that´s single room for two nights, the 4th and 5th.
                                 Caller:            Is there a car park?
Receptionist: Can I have your credit card details, please?
                                 Caller:            Can I pay with American Express / Mastercard / Visa?
Receptionist: What time do you expect to arrive?
                                 Caller:            It´s a Visa card. The number is... The expiry date is...
Receptionist: Could you repeat that, please?


Making arrangements
Asking
What time is good for you?
What´s a good day for you?
What time / day suits you?

Agreeing
I can make (time / day)
I can do (time / date)
(Day / time) is fine for me

Suggesting a different time / day
How about (time / day)?
Is (date / time) OK for you?

Declining
I´m afraid I can´t make (time / day)
I´m sorry I can´t do (time / date)

Apologising
I´m sorry I missed our meeting at / on (time / date)
Sorry I didn´t make it on time.

Giving an excuse
My flight was late.
The traffic was very bad.
I was ill.

Identifying problems and agreeing action
Identifying the problem
There´s a problem with...
The problem is ...

Suggesting action
We could / should / shouldn´t...
I think / don´t think we should...

Agreeing action
So, we´re going to...
I agree. We´ll...

Problem-solving
Stating options
We have a number of options.
There are several ways we could deal with this.

Balancing arguments
Let´s look at the pros and cons...
Let´s discuss the advantages and disadvantages.
On the one hand... On the other hand...

Changing your approach
Let´s look at this way.
Let´s look at this from a different angle.

Considering less obvious options
We could try...
It might be worth...

Discussing possible effects
Let´s think about the consequences of...
If we do this then...

Making a decision
The solution then is to...
The best way forward is to...

Stating future action
What we´ve got to do now is...
So the next thing to do is...


Interview skills
Interviewer
Experience
What did you learm from your last job?
What didn´t you like about your last job?

Candidate
I learned to...
Well, I had a problem with...

Interviewer
Skills
What are you good at?
Do you have any special skills?

Candidate
People say that I´m good at...
My main strengths are...

Interviewer
Future plans
What do you want to do in the future?
Where do you want to be in ten years´ time?

Candidate
My main aim is to...
I plan to be...
I hope to have...

Interviewer
Interests
What do you do in your free time?
What are your main interests?

Candidate
I really enjoy...
I spend a lot of time...


Participating in discusssions
Agreeing
You´re right.
I really like the idea.
Yes, that´s right.
I think I agree with you.
Exactly.
Good / excellent idea.

Disagreeing
(Sorry) I don´t agree with you.
I´m afraid I don´t agree.
Yes, but what about the cost?
I´m not sure I agree.
I really don´t agree. (strong disagreement)

Asking for an opinion
What do you think?
How do you feel about this?

Giving an opinion
I think...
In my opinion...
I think that we should ask the staff.
I feel that we have to consider the cost.
I´m sure / convinced / positive that people would like it.

Making a suggestion
Let´s...
How about...
We could offer staff a wider choice of food.
Why don´t we change the menus?
How about offering healthier meals?
What about having a no-smoking policy?
I think we should send out a questionnarire. (strong suggestion)


Decision-making
Asking for the facts
Can you bring us up to date?
Can you give us the background?
Where do we stand with...?

Making a suggestion
We should sell out as soon as possible.
Why don´t we sell out?

Disagreeing
I don´t agree with that at all.
I totally disagree.

Identifying needs
We´ve got to get more information.
We need more information about where we´re going wrong.

Agreeing
You´re absolutely right.
I totally agree with you.

Expressing doubt
I am worried about the store´s location.
I´m not sure about it.

Making a decision
The solution, then, is to keep the store going.
I think on balance we feel we should keep the store going.

Stating future action
So, the next thing to do is...
What we´ve got to do now is...

Leading a team
Stating goals
Our main objective is to...
Our aims will be to...

Highlighting factors for success
If we´re going to be successful, we ned to act quickly.
To succeed, we´ll have to take into account several factors.

Indicating priorities
Our first priority will be to contact our customers.
It´s also essential that we brief our suppliers.

Defining roles and delegating
I´d like you to prepare a report.
Could you please liaise with Sales and Marketing?

Motivating the team
It´s a challenge, but it´s also an opportunty to develop the business.
We´ll all benefit because new orders will follow.

Reporting back
I´d like you to keep me up-to-date by email.
I´d like to have your report by Tuesday.
I suggest we set up another meeting in two weeks´ time.


Networking
Mentioning people you know
Harry Kaufman suggested I gave you a call.
I was given your name by Joh Stuart.

Asking for help /comtacts
Can I mention your name when I call him?
He mentioned that you might be able to help me.
You haven´t got his phone number by any chance?
Is this a convenient time or shall I call back later?

Giving advice
I suggest you give her a call.
You could try to track him down through our New York office.

Referring to previous meetings
Haven´t we met somewhere before?
We both went to that presentation...

Establishing common interests
Maybe we could help you out there.
Are you in sales or product development?



Handling difficult situations
Saying 'no' politely
It´s very kind / nice of you, but...
I´m very sorry, but...
I´m sorry, I really can´t.

Apologising
I must apologise...
I´m terribly sorry, but...
I´m really sorry.

Showing sympathy
I quite understand...
I know how you feel...
I know what you mean.

Ending a conversation
Sorry, I really must be off...
Please excuse me, I really have to leave...
Look! Sorry, but can we talk about this later?


Active listening
Showing interest
Really?
That´s interesting.
Right / OK / Mmm
Yes / No

Showing empathy
I know what you mean.
How awful!

Asking for details
So what happened?
What did you do?

Clarifying
Are you saying...?
What (exactly) do you mean by...?
Could you be more specific please?

Summarising
(So) you think...
(So) what you´re saying is...

Repetition / Question tags
A: We´ve reduced customer complaints by 30%.
B: 30%? / Have you?


Getting the right information
Making contact
Could you put me through to Mr Li Wang please?
You seem to have got the wrong extension.
Can you transfer me to his extension?

Asking for information
Could you give me a few details?
When did you give us the order?
Can you tell me what the order number is?

Asking for repetition
Sorry, I didn´t hear what you said.
I´m sorry, I didn´t catch that.
What did you say the reference number was?

Checking information
Fine. Shall I just read that back to you?
Let me just check. What you need is... Is that right?
Could you spell that please?

Clarifying
What exactly do you mean by...?
Sorry I don´t follow you.
Are you saying that...?

Confirming understand
Right, I´ve got that.
Fine; / OK. / Right.

Confirming action
I´ll check it out right away.
I´ll get on to it immediately.
I´ll call you back as soon as I can.

Source:  MARKET LEADER  (LONGMAN)






Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário