terça-feira, 26 de julho de 2011

I´ve just... I´ve already... I haven´t ...yet (*)

(*) Essential Grammar in Use - Raymond Murphy

Just = a short time ago

A: Are Jane and David here?
B: Yes, they´ve just arrived.

A: Are you hungry?
B: No, I´ve just had dinner.

A: Is Tom here?
B: Ni, I´m afraid he has just gone.

Already
= before you expected / before I expected

A: What time are Diane and Paul coming?
B: They´ve already arrived. (before you expected.)

It´s only nine o´clock and Ann has already gone to bed. (before I expected.)

A: John, this is Mary.
B: Yes, I know. We´ve already met.

Yet = until now (you can use yet in negative sentences and questions. Yet is usually at the end.)

Yet in negative sentences:

A: Are Diane and Paul here?
B: No, they haven´t arrived yet. (but B expects Diane and Paul to arrive soon.)

A: Does John know that you´re going away?
B: No, I haven´t told him yet. (but B is going to tell him soon.)

Margaret has bought a new dress but she hasn´t worn it yet.

Yet in questions:

A: Have Diane and Paul arrived yet?
B: No, not yet. We are still waiting for them.

A: Has Linda started her new job yet?
B: No, she starts next week.

A: This is my new dress.
B: Oh, it´s nice. Have you worn it yet?

Exercise: Complete the sentences. Use already + present perfect.

What time is Paul arriving.
He´s already arrived.

Do Sue and Bill want to see the film?
No, they .................................................it.

Don´t forget to phone Tom.
I ............................................................ him.

When is Mary going away?
She .............................................................

Do you want to read the newspaper?
I ............................................................. it.

When does Linda start her new job?
She ........................................................ it.


Exercise: - Write questions with yet.

You friend has got a new job. Perhaps she has started it. You ask her:
Have you started your new job yet?

Your friend has some new neighbours. Perhaps he has met them You ask him:
................. you ...........................................................................................................

Your friend must write a letter. Perhaps she has written it now. You ask her:
....................................................................................................................................

Tom was trying to sell his car. Perhaps he has sold it now. You ask a friend about Tom:
....................................................................................................................................


Exercise: - Complete the sentences. Write about yourself:

I´ve never ridden a horse.
I´ve been to London many times.
I´ve just ....................................................................................
I´ve ........................................................................................... (once/twice/a few times/many times)
I haven´t ............................................................................. yet.
I´ve never ...............................................................................
I´ve .................................... since ...........................................
I´ve .................................... for ................................................


Exercise: - complete de sentences (positive or negative)

Do you like London?
I don´t know. I haven´t been there.

Do you want the newspaper or can I have it.
You can have it. I .......................................... it.

Are you enjoying your new job?
I .................................... yet. My first day is next Monday.

Is Sylvia married?
Yes, she ........................................ married for five years.

What time is Paul going out? (he/already/go)
...........................................................................................

New York is my favorite city. (how many times/you/there)
Is it? ..................................................................................

What are you doing this weekend? (I/not/decide/yet)
I don´t know. ......................................................................

Are you hungry (I/just/eat)
No, ......................................................................................

My favorite film is Cleo´s Dream. ................................it four times.

Liz is from Edimburgh. She ......................................... there all her life.


Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário