segunda-feira, 4 de junho de 2012

INDIRECT REQUESTS

Used to soften requests, to ask politely.

Is it OK if I use your phone?
Do you mind if I use your CD burner?
Do you mind my using your CD burner?
Do you mind me using your CD burner?
Would it be OK if I picked it up on Friday night?
Would you mind letting me use your laptop?
I wonder if I could borrow some money
I was wondering if you´d mind lending me your car.

Open the door! (Imperative, direct request)
Please open the door.
Open the door, will you?
Could you open the door?
Would you open the door?
Will you open the door?
Can you open the door?

Would you turn on the TV, please?
Could you pay attention, please?
Could you tell me the time?
Would you (please) be kind enough as to open the window?
Would you (please) be so kind as to open the window?
Would you like to come to my party?
Would you like a cup of tea?

Can you tell me how long you have worked for Carrefour?
I´d like you to tell me when you graduated from university.
Do you know if your present employer would be prepared to give you a reference?
I would be most grateful if you could give me the directions to your company.
Could you also tell me what time I am expected to be there?
I´d be interested to know when the final date for applications is.

Direct question: Is there a language school or university in your town which runs classes during the summer?
Indirect question: Do you know if there os a language school or university in your town which runs classes during the summer?

Direct question: Where is the nearest airport?
Indirect question: Could you tell me where the nearest airport is?

Direct question: How much would it cost to rent a flat?
Indirect question: Can you give me an idea of how much it would cost to rent a flat?

Direct question: When do you expect to go to the mountains?
Indirect question: Let me know when you expect to go to the mountains.

Where is the bank?                                       Could you tell me where the bank is?
What timedoes the bank open?                     Do you know what time it opens?
How often do the buses leave for the city?     Can you tell me how often the buses leave for the city?
Where are the restrooms?                             Do you know where the restrooms are?


Sources: English Structure Practice - Gordon Drummond
              Cambridge Business Benchmark - Guy Brook-Hart
              Interchange 3rd Edition - Jack C. Richards - Cambridge
              Complete First Certificate - Guy Brook-Hart - Cambridge

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário