quarta-feira, 6 de junho de 2012

2nd CONDITIONAL

2nd. Conditional: tentative, hypothetical, and unreal conditions (present or future time reference)


If we caught the 10 o´clock train, we would (could, might, etc) get there by lunchtime.
If I came into a fortune, I would give up working.
If I knew how it worked, I could tell you what to do.

Exercise: complete the sentences

If you explained the situation to your solicitor, he .............................................................................
Perhaps he ............................................................, if you spoke to him yourself.
If you changed your job, you............................................................................................................
If you went to see a doctor, he ........................................................................................................
If we bought a house in the country, we ...........................................................................................
If they came to see us in London, we ...............................................................................................
I´m sure he would take the job on if ................................................................................................
If you took the shoes back to the shop, they ....................................................................................
If you read the book a second time, you ..........................................................................................

Exercise: answer the questions with conditional statements (2nd)

What cities or other places of interest would you visit if you went to America?
What would you do (or not do) if you could live your life again?
What would you say or do if someone called you a fool?
If a visitor came to your town, what places would you advise him to see?
What famous person would you like to meet if you had the chance?
Which country would you choose if you decided to live abroad?
What changes would you make in your house, assuming you had the money?
What would you do if you saw a house on fire?
What would you do if you had something stolen?
Which books would you take with you if you went to live on a desert island?

Exercise: Turn the following sentences into 2nd conditional:
Example: We don´t have any wood, so we can´t light a fire. If we had some wood, we could light a fire.

Since she doesn´t love him, she won´t marry him.
Our teacher explains things clearly, so we understand his lessons.
As I haven´t a watch, I casn´t tell you the time.
Britain doesn´t export enough, so she has a constant balance of payments problem.
Since I know the meaning of the word, I don´t have to look it up.
This exercise is easy, so everyone will get the correct answers.
I know the answer so I can tell you.
We haven´t any matches so we can´t light the fire.

wish, would rather, It´s time + noun clause with past tense:
I wish I were rich (If only I were rich!)
I´d rather you told me frankly what you think.
It´s time (it´s about time, it´s high time) we left.
I wish you would hurry up.
I wish it would stop raining soon.

Source: Advanced English Practice - B.D. Graver - Oxford





Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário