terça-feira, 1 de maio de 2012

MEETINGS - USEFUL LANGUAGE

CHAIRPERSON
Beginning the meeting
Can we start please?
Right, let´s begin.

Stating the aim
The main aim of the meeting is to...
The purpose of this meeting is to...

Asking for comments
What do you think?
How do you feel about this?

Changing the subject
Let´s move on now to...
The next item on the agenda is...

Clarifying
What do you mean by...?
Sorry, I don´t quite understand.

Summarising
OK, let´s summarise.
Right, let´s recap...

PARTICIPANTS
Giving opinions
I think...
I´m in favour of...

Making suggestions
Perhaps we should...
We could...

Agreeing 
I think you´re right.
I (totally) agree.

Disagreeing
I don´t know about that.
(I´m afraid) I don´t agree.

Interrupting
Hold on (a moment).
Can I say something?


Interrupting and Clarifying
Interrupting
Could I say something?
Could I just comment on that?
Hold on a minute.
Sorry to interrupt but...

Clarifying
How do you mean exactly?
What exactly do you mean by...?
Are you saying...?
So what you´re saying is that...


Taking part in meetings
Interrupting
Hold on...
Could I just say something?
Sorry, but...

Asking for opinions
How do you feel about...?
What do you think?
What´s your opinion?

Giving opinions
I think...
In my opinion...

Agreeing
That´s true
I agree

Disagreeing
I´m sorry, I don´t agree.
I´m afraid I don´t agree.
Maybe, but...

Making suggestions
I think we should...
How about...?
Why don´t we...?

Rejecting suggestions
I don´t think it´s a good idea.
I´m not keen on it.


Managing meetings
Starting
OK, let´s go down to business.
Right, can we start please?

Asking for reaction
How do you feel about...?
What do you think?

Dealing with interruptions
Could you let her finish please?
Could you just hang on a moment please?

Keeping to the point
I´m not sure that´s relevant.
Perhaps we could get back to the point.
Let´s leave that aside for the moment.

Speeding up
I think we should move on now.
Can we come back to that?

Slowing down
Hold on, we need to look at this in more detail.
I think we should discuss this a bit more.

Summarising
OK, let´s go over what we´ve agreed.
Right, to sum up then...


Stating aims
Our main purpose will be to explore your views.
The aim of this meeting is...

Disagreeing
I don´t agree.
Point taken, but surely... is an important factor?
I really can´t agree with you there.

Asking for opinions
Stefan, what do you think?
Stefan?

Agreeing
I agree with Max.
I think so too.

Deawling with interruptions
Can I finish the point?
Let Stefan finish please, Max.

Giving opinions
I really think we need a report.
Shouldn´t we have more information?
We feel... is the best way to...

Requesting action
Can you arrange a meeting?
Would you prepare a short report please?

Asking for clarification
Can you explain it a bit more clearly?
What exactly do you mean?
Can I get this clear?

Stating objectives
The purpose of the meeting this morning is...

Encouraging contributions
Anything goes...

Making suggestions
I think we could send out glossy brochures...

Agreeing
Yes, that´s a good idea.

Expressing enthusiasm
That´s great!

Source: MARKET LEADER - Longman

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário