segunda-feira, 23 de abril de 2012

USED TO

Dave worked in a factory from 2000 to 2010. He´s been working in a supermarket since 2010.

Dave says: I used to work in a factory, but now I work in a supermarket.

I used to work / she used to have / they used to be etc.

When I was a child, I used to like chocolate.
I used to read a lot of books but I don´t read much these days.
Liz has got short hair now but it used to be very long.
They used to live in the same street as us, so we often used to see them. But we don´t see them very often these days.
Ann used to have a piano but she sold it a few years ago.

The negative is I didn´t use to...


When I was a child I didn´t use to like tomatoes.
They didn´t use to travel very much in the past.
He usually went to work by car. He didn´t use to walk.
Lamartine Babo used to write songs for Carnival.

The question is did you use to...?


Did you use to play tennis when you lived in that condo?
Where did you use to live before you came here?
How did you use to commute before having a car?


We use used to... only for the past. You cannot say 'I use to...' (present)

I used to play tennis. These days I play golf.
We usually get up early.


(From the book ESSENTIAL GRAMMAR IN USE  - by Raymond Murphy)




Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário