terça-feira, 10 de abril de 2012

MAKE, DO, HAVE, TAKE


There are many common expressions with these verbs, and often they are different in other languages, so you need to learn them.


Things we make


a mistake                              He made a few mistakes in the exam.
a meal (prepare, cook)         I had to make my own dinner last night.
money (become rich)            He made a lot of money when he worked in America.
friends                                  It´s not always easy to make friends in a foreign country.
a decision                             We must make a decision before 6 pm;
a noise                                 I can´t work when the children make a lot of noise.
progress (U)                        Her English is good now; she has made a lot of progress.


Things we do


homework (U)                          I forgot to do my English homework last night.
the housework (U)                    My mother does all the housework in our house.
(study) subjects                        Did you do English at school?
a course                                   I did a one-week course in word processing.
the shopping (buy food)            I always do the shopping at the weekend.
research (U)                             He´s doing research in physics at Rome University.
(someone) a favour                   Can you do me a favour and lend me some coffee?
something/anything/nothing         I didn´t do anything last night. That boy has done nothing all day.
                                                 She must have done something to him. He´s very angry.


Things we have


a rest                                        They had a long rest after the game.
food and drink                          I had steak but Paul just had a cup of tea.
a drink                                      Let´s have a drink before dinner.
a bath/a shower                        I always have a bath when I get up.
a party                                     I´m having a party for my birthday.
a baby                                     Mary is having a baby next month.
a (nice/great/terrible) time         We had a very nice time in Switzerland last year.


Things we take


an exam (also "do an exam")      I´m going to take four exams next month.
a photo                                     She took lots of photos on holiday.
a decision (also "make")            I´m not very good at taking decisions.
a shower (also "have")              I´m just going to take a shower before lunch.
a bus/train/plane/taxi                 We were late, so we took a taxi to the airport.

NOTE: Notice the use of be + adjective in these expressions:

She was lucky.               I´m hungry.                 I´m thirsty.


(From English Vocabulary in Use by Stuart Redman - Cambridge University Press)






Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário