quarta-feira, 11 de abril de 2012

GET: USES AND EXPRESSIONS


Meanings


Get is an informal word, so it is more common in spoken English than written English. It has many meanings. Here are some of the basic ones.

receive                                                         I got a letter this morning.
                                                                     You get a certificate at the end of the course.

obtain (sometimes = buy)                             She´s trying to get a new job.
                                                                     Where did you get those shoes?

become (= a change in state)                        It gets dark very early at this time of year.
                                                                    My hands are getting cold.

arrive                                                           When did you get here?
                                                                     I´ll phone you when I get home.

fetch                                                            Could you get the books from the cupboard?
                                                                     She went to get the children from school.


'Get' + past participle


We sometimes use the more informal 'get' + past participle


get married (= marry)                                 She got married in France.
get divorced (= divorce)                             They got divorced last year. (the marriage has ended officially)
get dressed (= dress)                                  I got dressed quickly and went out.
get undressed (= undress)                          He got undressed and got into bed.
get changed (= change clothes)                   When I got home I went to my room and got changed.
get lost (= lose one´s way)                           I got lost on my way to the station.


Common collocations


Get is so common with certain words (often describing a change of state) that it is a good idea to learn them as expressions:

It´s getting hot/cold/dark/light/late/better/worse/busy
I´m getting hot/cold/tired/better/worse/hungry/ready

Note: the expression getting better at something can describe an improvement in your ability to do something, e.g. I´m getting better at English/swimming; it also describes an improvement in your health, e.g. She was very ill but she´s getting better now. (different from getting worse.)


Phrasal verbs and special expressions with 'get'


I get on very well with my sister. (= I have a very good relationship with my sister)
How are you getting on?   (a) (= a general question: how´s life?)
                                        (b) (= what progress are you making, e.g. with your English?)
It´s difficult to get to know people in a foreigh country. (= meet people and make friends)
I want to get rid of all my old records. (= sell them or throw them away or give them away)
My alarm wakes me up at 7 am, but I don´t usually get up (= get out of bed) until 7.15.

from the book English Vocabulary in Use by Stuart Redman - Cambridge University Press










Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário